Hibotchi is a mashup of Tetris, Slay the Spire, and Diner Dash; a real-time cooking game with cards.
If it's your first time here, I recommend starting with the tutorial (accessible from the Instructions or from Choose Level).
Your goal is to complete the orders of your customers.
To do so, match the relevant foods that are falling by moving them with the effects of the cards in your hand.
Play cards from your hand by dragging them out until they glow.
Avoid destructive hazards! (However, some can be helpful...)
If the food piles up to reach the end of your "stovetop" (the grid), you lose! Complete a full line across the grid to clear the stovetop of food.
Full Game Features
4 playable classes (2 of which are playable in the web demo), each with their own cards and strategy.
2 game modes.
• Gauntlet (accessible from "Play" card in main menu)
- Build your deck from a generated pool of cards, and beat six levels in a row! You can retry each level once.
• Free Play (accessible from "Choose Level" card in main menu)
- Choose from among levels unlocked in the Gauntlet to play freely with a pre-built deck.
Over 900 different card combinations (with 30+ different cards) and more than 15 levels (six of which are available in the web demo)!
Saving and loading in the middle of gauntlet runs is supported in the full Android version, but not in the web demo.
Added difficulty levels.
Fixed issue that allowed players to win too quickly.
Turned customer slider invisible after last customer entered.
Draw starting hand more slowly.
Add first customer after starting hand is drawn.
Changed food sprites.
Updated card frames.
Lowered difficulty of some hazards.
Fixed "index out of range" bug.
Fixed bug that made food go out of grid.
Made food less random.
Added new card effects and hazards!
• Add New Food spawns another food at the top of the stovetop.
• Change Food Type changes the type of food that's falling.
• Discard makes you discard.
Each level showcases a new different effect.
Added new sprites and animations!
• Spatula animation for moving and flipping food.
• Tongs animation for rotating food.
• New icons for Movement, Add New Food, Change Food Type, and Discard.
Fixed customer timer timing out.
Fiddled with difficulty balance.
Added Exhaust hazards, which add a useless Exhaust card to your deck.
Updated the title screen to be playable with cards!
Refactored project and maximized efficient code.
Added customer faces.
Updated splash screen.
Customer timer balance updates
Various other quality-of-life improvements.
Fixed Draw Card and Fall sprites not showing up.
Added Customer Timers.
• Customers will leave after their timer runs out, and you won't be able to complete their order.
Added card that gives a temporary shield that protect foods from hazards.
Added card and hazard that affects customer timers.
Added seventh level.
Cards that can't be played return to player's hand after mouse (or finger) is released.
Fixed bug that allowed food to be able to be placed on the same grid space as another.
Fixed bug that allowed food to travel past the grid edges.
Various other small quality improvements across the board.
Added "Double Next Effect" card.
• It, as you can imagine, doubles the effect of the next card you play.
Added eighth level.
Added the option to randomly generate a level.
Updated method of saving and loading level data. (This is invisible to the user, but I hope it'll decrease the game's file size and improve its efficiency and speed.)
Updated icon for mobile users.
Updated background to wooden floor texture.
Fixed bug that wouldn't load some cards or hazard images.
Various other small quality improvements and bug fixes.
Hotfix for 01-08-2020:
Generating random levels works correctly now.
Tutorial works correctly now.
• These are optional objectives to complete as you finish orders. Ones included currently are
• Complete this order on the left side of the stove.
• Complete this order on the right side of the stove.
• Complete this order in the center of the stove.
• Complete this order within 30 seconds.
• Complete this order within 60 seconds.
• Miss all hazards as you complete this order.
• Hit a hazard as you complete this order.
Updated Tutorial to address this garnish update.
Updated the color palette.
Changed sprites to 32px.
Added more instructions to begin the game for first-time users.
Updated background to japanese tatami floor texture.
Added exclamation points to warning sprites.
Added animations of knife, pan, spoon, grease, and smoke.
Various other small quality improvements and bug fixes.
Combine cards of similar types while they're in your hand.
• The number of similar cards in your hand shows up in a red circle at the top left of a card.
• Replaced the "Informative Text"s with a History Panel to the side of the screen.
• Added a "Level Details" canvas that shows you what cards, hazards, and food will appear in a level before you begin!
• Updated cursor icon (on WebGL)
• Removed Deck and Discard Size.
Added Hover Tooltips!
• When you hover (or press and hold on mobile) over an item, a tooltip pops up with additional information about the item.
Added some sound effects.
• Error sound when an invalid effect is played.
• Confirmation when a valid effect is played.
Modified the method that Hazards are placed to be less random.
Updated Tutorial to have better onboarding.
Added additional animations (like the grid layout in the beginning, and used food moving toward its completed order)
Additional smaller quality of life improvements and minor balance changes.
Released Hibotchi (Quarantine Version)
Added 2D lighting system and additional particle effects.
Added new effects:
• "Copy a card in your hand"
• "Add a random card to your hand"
• "Shield Equal To Cards In Hand"
• "Complete Customer Order With Downside"
• "Variable Card Draw"
Updated "Fall" effect to include discarding a card.
Added music tracks and sound effects, with volume controls for both of them!
Added four new levels to showcase new mechanics.
Increased loading efficiency of levels and canvases.
Added a new type of food - Mushroom
Updated some sprites.
Updated the credits and the instructions.
Fixed a bug that caused the tutorial to end incorrectly.
Fixed a bug that caused some hazards to stay on the grid permanently.
Additional quality of life improvements
Replaced garnishes with optional foods.
Updated some behind-the-scenes functionality of hazards and loading sprite icons.
Random level now generates randomly correctly.
NEW GAUNTLET GAME MODE!
• In this game mode, attempt to win six games in a row with a custom deck built from a generated pool of cards. After each win, add another card and modify your deck to your liking.
Added "See next two blocks" and "Cover next up block(s)" effects. Updated some animations and sprites.
Removed some cards such as rotations.
Added moving hazards and a level to showcase them.
Main menu now has music.
More sound effects.
Updated behind-the-scenes project architecture.
Refactored the way hazards are stored and spawned.
Permitted saving and loading in the middle of Gauntlet runs on mobile (but not on web).
Cleaned up some project hierarchy.
More UI updates and loading screen changes.
Added new effects.
• Bewilder N (Put the top N cards of your deck into your discard.)
• See Next Customer (Shows the next customer for a brief time.)
• Random (Performs a random effect!)
• Add Customer (Another customer enters your restaurant if possible.)
Added at least one new card and/or hazard for each of these effects.
Hazard Modifiers are now more dynamic and scriptable.
• Added Double, Split, Move, and Half hazard modifiers.
Added at least one new level per new effect and hazard modifier.
• Background restaurant sounds
Added wild foods that act as any food.
• They’re instantiated when you complete a line of foods
Stopped time when looking at a tooltip.
• Also, open the instructions by swiping right when the tooltip is active!
Customers now enter faster the more cards you play.
Removed Random Level generator button in preparation for an overhaul.
Removed “Complete Customer Order” card.
“Change Card” effects no longer persist after a Gauntlet level.
Tap To Play Cards is now a toggleable option.
Tapping on foods speeds them up.
“Next Customer Arrives In” text expands and contracts when it changes.
Scrollbars are wider for easier mobile device accessibility.
History Panel expands and shrinks according to hand size.
Fixed some bugs in the tutorial.
Hazards no longer change color halfway through their life cycle.
Behind-the-scenes code refactoring.
Hotfix to change false pausing in tutorial.
Added additional movement cards.
• Combined basic movement cards with effects such as “Increase Delay Float”, “Attract Customers”, and “Increase Customer Timer”
• Each card has new icon as art and new sound effects.
Removed some cards.
• “Complete Customer Order”, “Increase Delay Float”, “Attract Customers”, and “Increase Customer Timer”
Random levels are back and improved!
Updated deck lists of levels available in “Choose Level” menu.
Added option to edit deck before retrying a failed gauntlet level.
Fixed bug in gauntlet that removed the ending screen.
Updated icon to off-black background.
Laid out architecture for unlockable assets to implement in the future.
Updated instructions text.
Differentiated demo web version from full mobile version.
Implemented unlockable assets & advertisements (in full version).
Added twitter and itch links in title page.
Add visual effects, sounds, and screen shake.
Also available on
- Happy Anniversary18 days ago
- Player Progression Update41 days ago
- New Movement Cards64 days ago
- August 2020 Update74 days ago
- Gauntlet Game Mode AdjustmentsJun 13, 2020
- New "Gauntlet" Game Mode AddedJun 03, 2020
- Hibotchi (Quarantine Edition)May 03, 2020
- "Transparency" UpdateMar 29, 2020